Sunday 6 March 2022

Temperatures drop but I'm still floating on a cloud

Ok, so with a degree of sanity (I'm still grinning from ear to ear) let's tell you about the trip last night.
We drove about an hour to some small village where the skies were pretty clear and waited.
When we arrived there was a vague glow near the mountain line and however much we tried we ended up with black photos.
Disappointed, we waited and after about an hour, the light show began.
All of a sudden these long ribbons of greyish green filled the sky and people slowly started trying again. A false dawn of northern lights lit up the mountain valley above us and arcs very slowly danced right across like long grey rainbows.
Some cameras were too cold to function, others refused to cooperate but my lovely, rather old and perfectly formed phone did an excellent job.
I must admit I forgot myself and started the booh-yah dance ... loudly. Oh, for heaven sake at nearly ten o'clock at night having waited since seven who wouldn't? 
Them obviously. 
So embarrassed by my display, they moved away leaving me a small dance floor. Yes, just-jo, left her mark, tee hee.
Ironically, the Norwegian guide laughed and told me I'd fit in well up here ... "just our sort of person. Loud and you say it as you feel, nice to see, so show me....ooh, that's good. Yay, boo-yah indeed!"
I felt better.
By the time we got back to the ship, the snow was falling heavily. The second group that went from 10pm until 1am saw very little it seems. Apart from a couple of whisps just before they were due to leave, they'd had little but dark skies and, in the end, snowfall. We certainly had the better of the two shows.
I hope those who are going tonight have a better show but today...
snow and ice cover the decks. A cold wind blows and more snowfall hangs in the cloud base.

So, to today. I'm off at 10am to the museum of the north. I think it's about the Sami people but I'll find out soon enough.
I have the afternoon free so I'll see. We're berthed until 11pm because another group will be hunting the lights tonight so I might get the shuttle and go into Alta Sentrum.
Mm, watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment