Tuesday 29 March 2022

Vikings, Bluenoses and Valued Champions

 Whoever said being at sea is dull and there's nothing to do, think again.


 First stop, The Grill on deck 12 for breakfast and a view over the sea, then a stroll around the deck [buffeted all the way] and then wander down to the Playhouse theatre for a talk on the truth behind the Vikings.

After that it was down to deck 5 for a coffee and listen to the piano playing of Myroslav Taranik  followed a cooking demonstration of genuine Indian curry with head Chef Kumar; yummy.

Then, after a quick lunch, up to the Britannia lounge on deck 14 for the Blue Nose ceremony at 2pm.


 

Yes, I am an official Blue Noser and have the certificate to prove it. God I look a mess but I'd been outside again and this is the general state of most of us by this time, tired, disheveled and for me, losing weight!![ whilst most were finding buttons wanted to pop I had gone the other way and with the increase in general exercise, going up and down staircases, along corridors and trying my best to balance when really the sea had other ideas ... well it was certainly fun, can't wait to come again!!].

That by the way is Viking Vodka. Some spilt onto my chapped fingers and it stung like crazy, dread to think the proof rating on this stuff but let me say it was crawling out the glass, something I'd not seen for years and that had been with ouzo.

At 3:30pm it was along to the playhouse for and amazing afternoon performance by Louis Hoover who did a tribute to Sinatra and the Rat Pack - now he was good!

Blimey, is that the time, a quick scoot up the stairs [this is killing me] deck 6 to deck 14, wheeze, puff, hurt, back into the Britannia Lounge and watch crew members accept their awards for February.

Right, what time is it, OK back down to deck 5 for a special about Swedish glass jewellery and a fascinating insight into diopside garnet.

Aching like crazy I headed back to my cabin and collapsed on my bed for a while. Before I realised the sea had rocked me back to sleep for an hour; I decided coffee and a gentle stroll was in order.

View over the balcony in the library. You can catch a glimpse of the cafe and bar on the deck below and then down the sweeping staircase to the living room where the live instrumental interludes occur. Its really nice to sit and listen whichever of the three decks you're on.





No comments:

Post a Comment